31 July 2007

Food Ailments

Rice Krispies with Rice Dream is perhaps a little redundant. I have one of those stomachs which is quite a burden, both on me and those who care about me.

Everyone loves cheese. I love cheese too. And milk. But I can't digest them. For some reason though it is not as simple as just avoiding dairy products... Apparently, I have IBS. So, anytime I get stressed I have problems, and it seems that it does not matter what the food is.

Lately, I have taken to avoiding chocolate, because I am pretty sure that that has very adverse effects on me as well. It helps, but with the IBS, there are still those days where it seems like it matters not what I eat.

I would like to make it so that there is no excuse for my body to act this way at all. Something in my mind tells me that if I did not eat any crap at all, my body would handle it much better. I have thought of having salads and vegetable meals, only fruit and bread, a little meat. But people do not make food like that. Unfortunately, we live in a society where people need food to taste good.

I have discovered that I like food the way it is. I rarely add dressing to my salad. I can eat potatoes without anything added. I can eat broccoli and rolls without butter. I think this is an excellent gift, because I do not need to add unhealthy items to my food. If only I could channel this more into something like health.

The food struggle is a long, hard fought battle. Everytime I think I make progress, I will have a bad day. When going on trips, I have to be extremely careful. When having dinner at someone's house, I need to be cautious. And, sometimes, that means eating less.

I think if I put the effort into a very conscious daily plan of healthy eating, I would do much better. It is all about thinking in advance and planning. That would be very nice for me and others too. I could have little meals planned in advance so that I could carry them in bowls and when people decide to order pizza, I can just pull out my little salad... Kind of depressing, isn't it?

No comments: