29 July 2008

Stupid TV

We just went through the cycle again. Not the washing machine, nor the Lion King symbiotic thing, but the stupid cycle of tv service. We went from Dish to Comcast. And, it is all Dish's fault. Well, sort of.

I have had a few different services over the years. I have had Comcast a few times. And, I hate the fact that they do not want me as a customer. They only want me as a new customer. They want me to switch from something else to them. But, as far as retention goes, they could care less about that. How does that work?

I would think a company would want good, satisfied customers. But no. I vowed that I would never go back to them. That would have stayed had it not been for Dish. They come in with their ten month deal, but then after that, they jump all their prices up. So, Dish is no better than Comcast. I have not had DirecTV yet, but I am sure they are just as bad.

I just want a consistent price. I don't want to have to adjust my budget constantly to meet whatever happens to be the offer currently.

I cannot believe how much we pay for TV anyway. For something that just wastes our time, why do we pay so much for it? It is this filler that we feel like we cannot do without. But wait! If I didn't spend time watching tv shows, I could:
1. Write more blog entries
2. Exercise
3. Spend more time with my family
4. Play a game.
5. Learn a new sport.
6. Read a book
7. Take a nap
8. Make a complex meal
9. Start a business
10. Do some yoga.
11. Draw
12. Clean my house
13. Pace
14. Brush my teeth.
15. Brush my hair
16. Make a pinata
17. Write a story.
18. Make up jokes
19. Drink some water
20. Dig a well.
21. Mow the lawn.
22. Do a crossword puzzle.
23. Wash the cars.

And oh, so much more.

2 comments:

Customer.Connect.Melissa said...

Hello S of D,

I read your blog and wanted to reach out to you to see if you would like my assistance. Of course we value your business at Comcast and would like to retain you as a customer. If you would like my assistance, please email me at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.

Kind Regards,
Melissa M.
Comcast Customer Connect
National Customer Operations

Rhett Olson said...

Holy crap, is that comment from Comcast real? Are they your Internet provider? Are they watching us? Quick, get the aluminum foil.

It doesn't matter what I need, or want, to get done. If there is a TV, I'm going to watch it. It's like this magnet.

I've often toyed with the idea of getting rid of TV all together. Look at your list, they are all things I'd like to do (except for maybe digging a well) but I just can't get myself to dump the services.