04 January 2010

Reality Bit

We watched Reality Bites last night. I guess that was my generation, but hardly my crowd. That does not stop me from identifying with Michael's character (Ben Stiller) though. He has Doctor Zaius on his desk. Why would that not be cool?

As I rooted for Troy (Ethan Hawke) and Lelaina (Winona Ryder) to get together, I found myself asking: Why? Why do I want these two horrible people to be happy? Then again, if they can be happy together, maybe that keeps others from being miserable.

The most redeeming part was seeing Leleina's video chopped up to be funny and commercialized. It was so pretentious and lame to begin with. Why was Michael apologizing to her? He should have just smiled as she walked away. He should have known that no amount of sucking up to her was going to get him anywhere.

No comments: