26 June 2016

Passing On Words of Wisdom



"You guys all have younger siblings, right?  Let's say you are going away for awhile and you may not see them for some time.  Why don't you write down on this sheet of paper some things you would like to say to your younger brothers or sisters before you go?"

This was part of a lesson I was teaching to some 11 and 12 year olds at church.  Naturally, I was trying to draw out of them a desire to pass on some wisdom, help their siblings get through the years by giving spiritual advice.  But I didn't tell them it had to be anything specific.

After they finished writing down their words of wisdom, what was the common theme said among all of them?

(Anyone who has had or has now boys of this age probably knows the answer to this question.  I had no idea.)  

"STAY AWAY FROM MY STUFF!!!!"

That is the funniest thing I have heard all week.  That just caught me so off guard.  Imagine they are about to leave for a few years or so, not seeing their family for that long and all they can think of is that their stuff is protected.  Nothing like: 
  • Listen to Mom and Dad
  • Do good in school
  • Help out people when they need it.
  • Say your prayers
 Instead it is:
  • Stay out of my Legos
  • Don't touch my comic books
  • Keep away from my bike.
  • My room is off limits
Don't get me wrong.  These kids are really top-notch.  They really impress me with their knowledge of things, their perceptions of people and what is right and wrong.  I love the answer though because it is honest.

Now, I am trying to think if I was the same way as a kid.  Was I very concerned about my stuff?  I must have been, but I don't remember being that concerned about it.

The textbook probably reads: 
"... and then the child grows into a Value stage where the items in their possession take on a different life.  They become valuable to a degree which is practically nonsensical.  The items seem to float around the child's room allowing the child to envision doing amazing feats with or by the aid of the item.  A collection of rocks may be fashioned into a key which opens gates to a new world.  A set of first edition books with autographs will one day be on display in a museum.  
No matter how far-fetched the illusion is, the dream of the child is what is at stake here.  They must believe in their item and keep it near their hearts until it is time to relinquish..."

I am still trying to think of anything that I have right now which I value in this way.  I guess I do not like my kids touching my phone.  But I think that is just common sense.  Kids break stuff.  

Aha!  These boys are starting to see themselves as adults.  And their siblings are still children.  If we view these boys as adults, it changes everything.

Adults definitely want their kids out of their comic books and other valuable things.  I have plenty of friends with very nice bikes that they will not let their kids near.  Lego Movie showed that adults want kids out of their Legos too.  
    
And there are times when we want kids to stay out of our room...    

No comments: