26 July 2019

In The Right Place

We were visiting a family friend the other day and while he was talking to my brother-in-law, I rudely interrupted and asked him to put on some Dr John. He jumped on it right away. And he put on In The Right Place. It was blasting and beautiful. I sat there and just listened. Music that I grew up with.



Let me back up. As I looked around this house that I had not seen since I was 5 or 6 years old, I was taking it all in. Framed art was all over the walls. Some that I remember from when I was young. And Some new. Many were painted by our family friend. 

On a wall, there were vinyl albums leaning against it on the floor. Five separate rows of albums leaning there with about 25 records per row. Lots of great music in there. Jeff Beck and Bob Dylan and Linda Ronstadt and Van Morrison. They were easy to get to and visible, but sort of had that look like they could be sent out with the trash at anytime. When I was young, there would have been shelves for albums. A whole entertainment system devoted to these large presentations of music.

But times have changed. With a whole collection and more able to be on our phones, we are continually trying to minimize. I can pull up Dr John's entire repertoire. I can listen to most of his music right now. Or most anywhere. Anytime.

At some point in my youth, I got my own turntable in my room. I had started my own collection of records and I would go in my room and listen to them. When I got a brand new one like I Just Can't Stop It by The English Beat, I would listen to the whole album. Both sides. And that became the method. Listen to the songs. Learn all the songs from the band. Some were good. Some not so good. When payday came around, go get another one. But that was the experience. I had a limited amount to work from.

With Apple Music and Spotify and Amazon and other music subscriptions, the album experience is gone. Looking at the album, focusing attention on the band and the artwork and the lyrics. It used to hold our attention. With so much available, our attention moves on so quickly. 

Being able to hold a record in my hand and carefully get it on the player, making sure not to scratch it was part of a ritual that most anyone could do. However, to do it with finesse, was something to take pride in. Take the paper jacket out of the cover. Remove the album from the jacket without ripping the jacket. Don't get your fingerprints all over the album, so handle it only on the edges with two hands. Slowly place the needle in just the right spot on the outer edge of the album. Crank up the volume because now you are in the zone!

But then, there is technology and all this other stuff to do. We have places to go, people to see, inventions to create, worlds to change, ideas to be shared. How could we have time to mess with vinyl?

I don't know about others, but I like slowing down. I like the peace. Even when the music is loud...





No comments: