13 December 2023

Winter Break at the Overlook

I saw The Shining when I was 10 years old. Too early? Definitely. But having experienced it at such a young age, I can't help but think that it is part of me. I grew up with Jack and Wendy Torrance. Maybe they weren't my parents per se, but they were like an Aunt and Uncle. I got to watch Uncle Jack unravel before my eyes as I rode my big wheel through the giant hotel. I guess I traded off with cousin Danny. 

And then before the snow hit, Aunt Wendy, Danny and I got to struggle through the maze. We were laughing and having so much fun. Danny's friend, Tony, would visit and give us words of wisdom. Tony was kind of scary himself but he had our backs.

What an adventure it was to be in the Overlook Hotel. The fun party guests. The Grady sisters too. They loved to play with Danny. Uncle Jack throwing the racquetball around. Hallorann coming to visit at an inopportune time. Awkward.

Anyway, I am listening to the audiobook now. I know there is controversy as the Kubrick movie was not as close to the book as Mick Garris' version was. But the Kubrick movie was awesome. So, I guess I am preparing myself to be disappointed with the book.

I have always heard that books are better than the movies. Probably true in 95% of cases. But the medium is so different. Something that takes you days to finish. And something that takes you a couple hours to finish. How can you really compare?

And how can I listen to the audiobook and not picture Jack Nicholson limping through the kitchen with a big old axe? How can I not picture Danny as a kid with a Dorothy Hamill hairstyle? The one exception though is that I can picture Rebecca De Mornay as Wendy. No offense to Shelley Duvall. Shelley will always be Aunt Wendy, but Rebecca De Mornay is really hot. Isn't Wendy supposed to be blonde in the book?

Now I feel guilty. How could I do this to Aunt Wendy? She would be so disappointed in me. But hey! She wasn't really family. Come on! Aunt Wendy?! Who am I kidding? Danny was not my cousin. That freaky finger thing...


 

1 comment:

Melissa Camacho said...

Kubrick actually pushed poor Shelley Duvall to insanity! She has had mental health struggles ever since. It is such a great creepy movie. I remember watching it when I was way too young too. Now the movie can be watched for the fun acting and it isn’t nearly as scary! I wonder how the book is?