21 March 2008

Cake

I love cake. It is one of the great food groups. I like fruits and vegetables. Potatoes and carrots, strawberries and bananas, avocado and tomato. But cake is just so good. Some people get excited over having cake and ice cream. They seem to want the ice cream more and the cake is just some sort of filler. For me, it is the opposite. Ice cream is disgusting.

Well, I won't go that far. Ice cream is pretty good. But cake is where it is at. I can eat cake without the frosting even. Of course it has to be pretty good cake. Really moist. But if the frosting is there, it can really make for an enjoyable eating experience. The combination of the cold fork slicing through, gathering a portion of frosting and cake along with the backing of the plate as support make the experience. Just doing that step alone is significant. Putting it in the mouth is good too. But you have to have that first step to make that second step really work.

And this is where the true problem cake comes in. Problem cake? What sort of problem cake could there possibly be?

Cupcake! The poorest cake eating experience there is.



I am not sure who came up with this, but it was not thought out very well. The paper on the bottom is annoying and it seems wasteful. Everytime I have to eat it, I have to peel it off the bottom. It is like eating a banana or an orange, but with fruit there is some health benefit at the end. If I am going to eat something bad for me, it should be as simple as popping it in. Don't make me work for it!

Then, there is the frosting. I always have to lick it off the top. I have been doing that since I was little. I cannot eat it along with the cupcake. It's too tall. The frosting will get all over my face. And if I go for the frosting-face scenario, the cupcake is just big enough that it takes 3 or 4 bites to finish. And, without a plate and fork, I am totally lost.

When I lick off the frosting first, there goes the great taste of the cake. The frosting's sweetness is too intense and instead of the symbiotic relationship with the cake, it just detracts from it. I would be okay with eating the cake and then the frosting, but that is near impossible.

The next time someone offers me a cupcake I swear I am really going to...



...shrug and eat it my old, lame way.

7 comments:

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

The ice cream part - I am totally there with you on that! Ice cream makes cake soggy - yuck! Cupcakes can be messy and like you I want the icing and cake at the same time. I do have to say you have made me hungry for a good moist piece of cake!!!

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

.... with frosting with every yummy mouthful!!

Deb said...

Amen...cupcakes are a pain! Who wants to work for their sugar fix?

McKenna said...

You have shed a new light on this whole savory cake thing, I have never wanted a cake so badly in my life.

Terence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terence said...

Naruto-Gaffigan mash-up on cake

smish said...

You are leaving out a very important part of cake. Dishes. Personally, I'll take throwing away a little wad of crumbling, muffin paper over gooey, chocolate smeared (it usually dries before you get to it) plates and equally afixed forks. Okay, there are paper and plastic but for those who want their cake in that perfect, dessert fanatasy setting, it's going to take the real deal. It's like salad with a plastic fork, just not right, right? Okay, you can do the cake dishes from now on.