29 March 2008

Five Year Goal


Since I am sick in bed right now, I guess it is time to do my 5 year goals.

My first one is that I want to be a successful business owner. So, let's map this out. I need to get a product. My product will be home mazes. People often have unfinished basements and they plan to get around to it eventually. This will be the neverending entertainment of having a spooky maze in their basement. Of course, they do not have to be spooky or creepy. It could be It's a Small World themed. Or, it could have a Gilligan's Island theme throughout. Or, it could be a Barry Manilow theme. None of these ideas are creepy...

We have our product. Now, materials. Are we going to just use cardboard everywhere? There should be some firm materials. We don't want the customer to cheat and knock over the walls to escape. And, we will probably want to have the spots where they can only crawl on their stomachs. So, wood framing and nails. Strobe lights. We will need some good software to draw this all out on first.

Then, there is the liability aspect. Even though we will want to have spiked walls and darts shooting out, there should not be anything which will really hurt or maim. Maybe just a brief sting. Like getting a shot.

We would also want to make it changeable. Once you learn a maze, it is not very fun to do the same maze again, so we would have to put casters on them and lock them into various places. That will be a good selling point though. We could have a monthly maze-changing service, where our team goes out and configures it to a whole new maze. For the low price of only $20.99 a month.

In five years, I need to be making a profit. With that profit we need to be able to pay our bills and go to the movies from time to time. So does that mean we make no profit for the first 4 years? I guess I will need to ease into this. Since not everyone will be clamoring for a new BaMazeMent right away, it will have to be a part time thing after my regular job. The goal in 5 years will be to quit my day job and start BaMazeMent Inc. full time. It may not happen just like that, but it's written down.

This five year goal stuff is hard work. But I feel good knowing that everyone who reads my blog now knows my ultimate dream, confusing people in their own homes.

No comments: