08 November 2008

Reflections On a Beautiful Fall Day

While I was waiting for the traffic to clear after the game, I saw this old man walking. He startled me because he walked right past the truck. It looked as if he was doing a lap around the church. I thought a little bit about what he was doing. It was a nice day today, but I would imagine this man goes for a walk every day. He struck me as a possible widower who was trying to occupy his day.

It is very interesting to think about the various cycles we are going through in our lives. We are hit with periods where we seemingly have lots of extra time. Unfortunately, those are usually lonely times. I suppose once we start sharing our lives, time shared becomes extremely busy time. I love having that sort of purpose, but in reflecting on this old man, I wonder if he misses out on the days of lots of activity.

Like the old man, I would do walks in very social areas. I would just want to be out, taking in the world, being a part of what was going on. At the end of A River Runs Through It, the narrator is fishing by himself, knowing that most of his family is gone. I think despite the sadness of that, the idea of him fishing is a very positive image.

The elderly are still such a valuable part of our society. They may be retired, but do they want to be? I know their bones creak and they cannot do all that they once did, but they still like eating pizza, don't they?

No comments: