25 January 2009

Disneyland Delivers

After going through an anti-Disneyland phase, since I went so much as a kid, I discovered that I like it once again. Maybe it was because we went in January and the crowds were so minimal. Maybe it was because my wife loves it there and I was happy to make her happy. Maybe it was because Tigger was so friendly and insisted I get my picture with him. Or maybe it was just because Space Mountain kicks A and is still the coolest ride on the planet...

We had a great time and my wife kicked my butt on both the Toy Story themed interactive rides. I can't understand why I suck so bad. I know that my aim is off because of being the shakiest gun in the west. I will just blame it on that. Excuses...

Haunted Mansion was closed and Pirates of the Caribbean was still good despite there being too many Jack Sparrow references. I say keep Jack Sparrow out of it. The movies were based on the ride. That is the order of things.

California Adventure was fun too. I got my butt kicked on California Screamin' but it was well worth it. Their rapids ride was closed. And, Soarin' Over California broke down when it was over. The cage on our left did not come all the way down so they were stuck there indefinitely. Well, as far as we knew. I am not sure what to think of California Adventure. It has some really cool stuff, but it is almost like they ran out of ideas, so they just threw in more Disney stuff.

We did miss out on Matterhorn and Tower of Terror. Also, Star Tours. I now realize that it has become a multiple day adventure and we need to spend a lot more money to get the full experience out of it. I hate that part of it. When it comes to the expense, I would rather spend a tenth of the amount and go hike Mount Whitney. That is a true California adventure...

3 comments:

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

Been to Mt. Whitney . . . um! Disneyland or hiking adventure ... definitely a toss up for different adventure reasons!!

Jamie Ehat said...

I'm glad that you got off your "I'm from California" soapbox and decided to like Disneyland again. :) But I realized when we were there that it is simply out of our control. I never want a shirt with Mickey or Goofy on it but for some reason in Disneyland, I do. I don't even like churros but that didn't stop me from eating 4 a day when we were there. I have come to the conclusion that they play some sort of hypnotic music over the PA system. We think that it is Disney movie soundtracks but really our brain is hearing...."You love Mickey"..."a Coke for $6 is totally reasonable"...."C'mon buy more Disney stuff...everyone's doing it".

Seriously, think about it.

Anthony Barney said...

We just went to Disneyworld 2 weeks ago. And normally I loathe all things Disney, exactly because of Jamie's comments, they do all they can to extract every last available dollar, but that is just capitalism, and I am okay with that, but the true method of how they do it, by insinuating that my family is a train wreck, and the only way to fix it is through Disney, is what really irks. Anyway, my wife planned the whole event (1 week) so well, we never waited more than 15 minutes for anything, we saw pretty much all the major characters (except Tigger), and the kids had a blast.