29 January 2014

What Can I Teach My Boy?

What can I teach my boy?

I have been pondering this question lately as we are stuck inside on these cold winter nights.  I taught my son how to tie his shoelaces the other night.  That seemed pretty major.  He is already reading like a madman, so I can't do much there.  He is better than me at video games now.  And, he plays with LEGOs like a champ.

Then, it dawned on me that I could help him learn how to program.  So, we set about doing his first program.  Since he is still very young, I figured I would show him the basics.  But, we didn't program in BASIC.  And, we did not do a command line "Hello World" application.  I know!  How do you not do "Hello World"?



I broke out the Visual Studio 2008.  And we coded in C#.  We created a Spiderman Calculator which only did addition.  It did a postback.  No javascript.  I had him fill in the text for the labels and button.  He picked out the image.  And I wrote the code for the calculator.  It was a nice, simple out of the box application which anyone could do.  But do they?

There was a moment in which I was trying to convey to him the deep importance of what he was witnessing.  

One day, son, you could be hacking into Target...

No comments: