21 March 2014

Quality Control


Hospitals are funny places.  I see why there are so many movies and tv shows about them.  Everything is dramatic there.  It is such a strange world with so many people coming and going.  TV shows have a new guest each week so they can come in all angry and pissed off and within an hour they have resolved their issues.  While at the hospital I did not seen one person overreact to anything.  I am sure it happens, but not on a weekly occurrence like the TV indicates.

The hospital food was not bad.  I enjoyed licking the scraps up off the floor when my wife was done with them.  But I was still amazed that the food was not great.  I have prepared food before and it does not take much to make it fresh and enjoyable.  

I can imagine there is this motivated food preparer down there who is doing her best to make everything great.  She is putting the garnishes on the plate.  She is slicing the orange in just the right way.  The sandwich is hot and the bacon is still sizzling. She is just about out the door to deliver the food and she is stopped by Quality Control.

"I'll take that food!" Quality Control announces and they grab the tray away.  Then, they go through a series of steps to take care of the quality.  They hold the sandwich out on the window ledge for 10 minutes.  They painstakingly paint the red grapes green.  They throw the diced potatoes back on the grill and do their best to burn them.   

Then, the food gets sent up by a person who does not get tips for their deliveries.  They also appear to be a person who has gotten orders wrong, because they verify the name before they hand the food over.

I realize it is bulk food, but I would expect it to be as good as Denny's...

No comments: