18 November 2007

Criticism

Some people that I sort of respect in the entertainment industry really get down on critics. I guess it comes down to not wanting to be criticized for work that they do and may be proud of. Or, maybe they just do not want to be criticized for putting forth the effort. Perhaps they know what they do is bad, but it is still their passion.

But I still find a need to express my own opinion when it comes to the work that others may do. I figure no matter what it is or where, something needs to be said about it. It could be the train conductor who blasts his horn as he goes through the neighborhood in the middle of the night. Or, it could be the waitress who does not know how to kiss butt well enough. Maybe it is the old person who does not know how to drive. Shouldn't all these people be criticized for their poor performances?

And so it goes with actors who take lame roles or cannot act. Producers who make the same movies over and over again. Or, they come up with a lame script which cannot be rewritten because it already has all the basic producer elements it needs. The dopey main character dude, the hot chick who goes beyond her stereotype, the incompetent government, the dense parents, the clever mouse, the cute robot. We have seen it all before! Help!

But what good am I doing by criticizing? What am I doing to change it? Am I writing the script for the movie the way it is supposed to be written? Am I coming up with the next big thing, technology, way to look at things?

Not yet.

No comments: