24 February 2008

The (Not So) Classic Western

Silverado is on right now and it is one of those movies that everyone loves. I am not sure why, but I love it too. Maybe it is because it has modern day actors in it... from the 80's. It is probably because Kevin Costner is so youthful and energetic. Maybe it is because Danny Glover is accepted as just one of the guys. I bet it was tough for Kevin Kline to compete for the cute factor with Costner. Or should I say: I bet it was tough for Kevin Kline to concede the cute factor to Costner? But, clearly, Kline does what he can.


I can't rip on Scott Glenn though. As far as I am concerned he is essentially flawless. That is not to say that there are no bad Scott Glenn roles. It is just that he always delivers ruggedness. From the first time I saw him in Urban Cowboy to the horrifically bad Vertical Limit, he is the embodiment of tough guy and bad-ass. But even in roles like in Bourne Ultimatum or Silence of the Lambs, he is a guy in charge who just seems like he knows what he is doing.


But back to the cheesy Silverado. We have the typical town which has an endless array of bad guys run by a corrupt sheriff played by the equally not so classic Brian Denehy. There is the whorehouse matron with the heart of gold played by Linda Hunt. And of course Jeff Goldblum as the underhanded, gentleman gambler who carries a knife in his shoe. (Warning: Plot point!)


Why do we accept all this? It is like more Hollywood than it is a western town. I suppose that is what happens with all-star casts. As the audience, we do not even care about the plot, or even if there is one. We just want to see our favourite cheeseball in the roles we already know. Don't give us anything new. Just give us what we expect. Don't surprise us. Let us fill in the blanks. Or wait! You fill in the blanks. You do everything. We'll just pay the money to watch it. There!

2 comments:

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

I love Silverado! I believe we have a VHS copy of it. Enjoyed your commentary on it...

smish said...

Scott Glenn on Monk was great.