20 February 2008

What qualifies?

I finally sort of watched Predator 2. It was on TNT and it was late. It was nice to see a lot of actors that I have known over the years. Gary Busey, Bill Paxton, Maria Conchita Alonso, Danny Glover and of course Adam Baldwin.

I wonder if my Uncle G has this on his list of movies he watches every time they are on. It certainly qualifies. It is violent and has a lot of cheesy lines to it. It probably does not have enough cheesy lines though.

Uncle G's list (as far as I know):
  1. Revenge of the Nerds
  2. The Substitute
  3. Commando
  4. Total Recall
  5. Tremors
  6. Tremors 2
  7. The Quest (Van Damme)
  8. Roadhouse

Those are the main ones I can remember right now. My Dad would have a more comprehensive list since he gets them quoted to him all the time. So I wonder if Predator 2 falls into the list. It has actors you love to hate. It has action. It has revenge. I am not sure that Revenge of the Nerds really has any revenge in it. Unless Bernie Casey telling John Goodman to hold it right there constitutes revenge, I don't know if it really counts. I guess the panty raid, the itching powder, the javelin throw and Takashi's tricycle race could all qualify as some sort of revenge. But after all, they're nerds.

Predator 2 was kind of silly. Violence for violence sake. I think that should qualify. Not so sure about the lines though. We will have to petition.

(The entries in red are the ones I have added since originally posting.)

4 comments:

Fortuna Watt said...

TREMORS!!!!!!! Doesn't that one actually top the list?
And one of The Howlings, first or second I think.

Fortuna Watt said...

Oh and we watched the last half hour of Predator 2 last weekend for the first time too. I got enough feel for it to think maybe I should watch the whole thing. I didn't see Bill Paxton, that's reason enough.

Me said...

Now, I have to admit that I haven't seen Predator 2 since 1991, but I would most likely remember seeing Bill Paxton in it. I don't. Is he one of the guys whose lives are ended by the "disc of death"?

Sidemoss said...

Paxton was the out of town detective type guy who is dressed kind of 1940's -ish. I think he gets it on the subway, but because I saw it on tv, I was not sure if the disc of death did it or what. He does put up a good fight though. Unfortunately, he is kind of low on the star totem pole at this point in his career, so he gets killed a little sooner than we would like.
Kind of the same thing with Aliens. It should have been Hicks, Hudson, Ripley, Newt and Bishop at the end. That would have made a much more compelling ending. "This isn't happening, man! This isn't happening!" "Maybe I ain't up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked!"