26 December 2007

DreamViewer

In the movie Until the End of the World, the characters reach a point where they get these handheld devices which allow them to see their own dreams. They become so addicted to the device that they do not do anything, but just spend their whole day watching their dreams. It is kind of a mistake for the movie, because there is a pretty compelling plot up to that point and the movie nosedives when the dream viewing comes along. However, I like the idea that it conveyed, that the people could not (or would not) do anything but continue in their own self-absorption with this little mechanical device. And their relationships just fall apart, because they can only exist for their dreams.

I just received one of these little devices for Christmas and I caught a glimpse of myself staring into the void of the view screen, while my wife spoke to me in the background. With these types of wonderment, we need never be bored again. Now, we can access information at the drop of a hat. Videos, Music, Phone Calls, Internet. When I go to the bathroom, I can continue shopping or researching or sending text messages to friends. No longer do I have personal time to reflect on life or new inventions. I have my dreams before me and I can just continue accessing all that it will allow.

I am not sure what the resolution was for them in the movie. I think they ran out of batteries or something. I do need to come up with ways to keep myself from being lost in the void of my own dreams. I am going to seek out boredom because I need to take away the control I feel like I have to have. I will leave the device in my room and go shovel snow. I will watch the DIY channel and come up with dreams on my own.

The DreamViewer is a great tool. I cannot imagine something today being so cool and useful. It is a means. It is a means. A means. Not an end.

1 comment:

Fortuna Watt said...

After reading your blog, I clicked on the link to "Until the End of the World", (possibly the best Soundtrack ever), and read that the Solveig Dommartin died last January of a heart attack. She was 46 years old. Isn't that sad.