02 December 2007

The Tree Party

We visited the Festival of Trees this year. I was not sure what to expect. I thought it would be outside and there would be ents guiding people about. I also thought the decorations would be solely on the trees and would not be creating a room theme all over the floor.

The idea is that people decorate a Christmas tree for a loved one who has died tragically of a disease or something else. I think they like to stick to the tragic theme even though it appeared that some people pictured there lived to ripe old ages. They decorate the tree with certain themes, presumably a theme related to the person who died. Like, if a man was into hunting giraffes, they would have some giraffe legs sticking out with a head on top. Or, if a child liked Disney (what child does not like Disney?), then the tree would have all sorts of Disney ornaments all over it. Then they sell or auction the trees to the rich. The proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital, which is up in Salt Lake.

So, as I was in there, I had to say that every tree was amazing. Really, when it comes down to it, there are no ugly trees. Maybe a couple had colours which were not my favourite, but for the most part there was lots of creative energy in the place. Row upon row of trees. And then they had small trees and gingerbread houses and kids performing in costumes. It was quite an ordeal.

But, after looking at all these trees, I suppose I got into a mode of wanting to see something that was in fact, unique. There were a couple, but not many. For the most part, the trees all fit in. They were each overdone with as many repetitious decorations as they could muster. I was looking for the tree that spoke to me. I wanted there to be something that caused me to go Wow!

Now, can I just go in and criticize without doing anything myself? Of course not. It is not until we pick up our own swords and chop something in half that we can really call ourselves butcher, right? So, it is at this moment that I decide... Well, actually I decide that I could do something truly unique, but that would require some real effort and time and engineering skills.

No comments: