06 January 2008

Football... Leading the Way to Bigger Egos

You know what I love about College Football that bothers me about the NFL? Yep! You guessed it! Celebration Penalty! How I wish that those idiots in the NFL would cut that celebration crap out after every stupid play. It's so embarrassing and it takes so much away from the game.

Some may ask why it takes away from the game. I feel that there are three main issues with this.

1. The player is acting in a proud way which directs more attention to him. He is essentially saying that "I tackled the quarterback!" or "I ran it into the end zone!" or "I got away with the pass interference!" But that is just it. He may have done those things, but he did not do it without the help of his team. They are making it so that people remember them regardless of their actual play. And, maybe that is a smart decision when it comes to making more money, but it is so sad to see that results do not count on their own.

2. They are taunting the other team. They are rubbing their noses in it and I was always told that that is poor sportsmanship. Those guys are out there playing their guts out and suddenly one play happens to go the wrong way and the opposing player gets to do his Lights Out dance. So when my kids are playing football with their friends and the quarterback gets sacked by my boy, I am to expect my son to get up and jump up and down pumping his fists in a squatting position? Well, that is what his football idol does. Those are the kind of people I do not want to play with.

3. It becomes a matter of one-upmanship which has nothing to do with the sport. The player makes a touchdown and pulls out a Sharpie to sign the ball and give it to a fan. Or another player scores and gets in a lame bowling stance. The shock-factor becomes more to them than the game. Each one of them has to have their own little dance or signature. And once again, the player is making sure the focus is all on him.

I see this stuff and I do not want to even watch football. I do not want to see my team do that. I feel like they are not my team when they act in that way.

And what is the excuse that they make for this poor behaviour? Well, the kids love it. The kids look up to this form of creative expression that the individual players have out on the field. To me, the creative expression comes in the performance of the game. When a running back dances around to avoid tackles and makes significant yardage, that is the art I want to see. Those are the moves that are proper for the game. It is almost as if the players insist on bringing the Super Bowl Halftime Show to each game. And we all know that those are the worst performances ever...

I remember playing sports and getting excited when I did something well (do something well. I still play), but at that point, the game is far from over. If it is the last play, it is okay to celebrate and dance around, because at that point, the game is over. One celebrates a victory. One does not celebrate and dance around over a single play. Because we all know what happens next. The following four plays the guy gets burned. Nothing is said about that though.

I think the problem is the showmanship of football. It is the biggest sport in the United States of America. It has a ton of money in it and so many fans. And, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. The players not only have the biggest egos, but they are getting paid so much money. So, there is no end to it. With that ego comes a bigger focus on the individual and the team means less and less.

But then, the league loves it. As long as it brings in more money, the NFL does not care. They could care less if they are helping to create poor sports and egotistical jerks both on and off the field. Make it a penalty to do that stuff like in College. Let's head back to college and learn something. If nothing else, the future of American sports would have some hope with the team concept...

1 comment:

Terence said...

ya, college football is so pure...

At least pro ball is real to itself and knows its all about the money. Not like college sports where its all some act when we all know it has become two things...the pro sports training camp and a way to stroke the egos of weak minds that simply due to their association with a school think they should share in the glory.

I like pro sports because it is what it is...a marketing and money making machine...everyone knows it and thats everyones goal from the players to the coaches to the owners. Entertainment baby...bring it on!

hehehe