27 January 2008

Made Where? Here? By Us?

Aunt J made some really cute baby clothes for us. She crocheted them and it was so neat to get the package from her and see the craftmanship that she did. Someone in the United States actually did something that was not on a computer or on paper and has a function.

Our society seems to have gotten so far away from craftmanship. Everything we buy is made someplace else. Our cars, our furniture, our electronics, our food...

The thing Aunt J told me to do was to make sure to keep the items in the family when we are done with them. It had not really occurred to me how important that is, but it was a great reminder of the need to be creative and have things to pass down to future generations. My great grandfather O was an amazing mechanic. When he died, we got his tools.

It also reinforces the idea of making our own stuff. Why not? My wife made pillowcases for the family for Christmas. I know that I am going to be using that pillowcase for Christmas for the rest of my life. I even helped... I ironed them a little.

And of course, my Dad's paintings will always be treasured. My sister and I feel loss every time someone else buys his work. We kind of want to horde them all up. Of course, we cannot do that, but I hope to have many more paintings of his.

5 comments:

McKenna said...

I agree. Things that are self made hold an incredible value. And by the ways the pillow cases were the best idea ever. I love them! And I regreatably forgot to thank Amy with all of my heart for them. We use them for the pillows on our "couch" (a foam pad on the floor.) It creates a touch of home. I believe we will have them all year long and the years to come. And not to mention the ironing technique on the cases is fabulous. Thanks Sigh.

Fortuna Watt said...

Yes, those pillow cases were great! Thanks Sidemoss's creative wife. I don't think we'll limit ours to Christmas either.

Terence said...

It is unfortunate that a large segment of our society does not place the appropriate amount of worth on items made with care and by hand. This goes for things hand made by family and friends as well as other items in your house that you purchase, like holiday decorations.

I have made a point to be a kind of family collector of items made by my parents, grandparents and other family members. The interesting thing is not all of the handmade things from these individuals are even the best specimens of art or craftsmanship. The difference, and the part that matters, is that they are alive with memories, feelings, thoughts, stories, etc. I have felt-cutout Christmas ornaments from 38 years ago that were given to my family in the mail with their cards, or as a small token gift. I have oil paintings from my grandmother of the ocean at San Clemente that she painted while learning to oil paint. I have carvings from my grandfather that were made later in life when his mind and hand were not so steady. My dad comments often "oh, that is the one that he did when he couldn't quite do it anymore" as if I was somehow cheated. If he only had the ability to understand that mine is MORE special.

Now, don't even get me started on the holiday decorations...I will probably make many of you feel guilty with this, but here goes...Where is the joy of a holiday decoration for Christmas, the occassion to celebrate something so special, that you honor it with a nativity set "hand-crafted" in China by a 13-year old girl or a prison inmate chained to a table for 14 hours a day...boy that sure says Jesus doesn't it? Do yourselves a favor and try to buy less, buy at local craft fairs and shops and spend more per item and then make it a family item, not a christmas casualty that hits the trash bin or garage sale 5 years from now.

S, cherish all of these things...find ways to continue the traditions...to spread the story of life.

smish said...

Coat hanger, nylon, yarn glitter and a wood block with letters and a nail. How many Christmas trees have a can of Pommade and a triangle of cookie dough hanging on it?

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

Glad to hear that you helped with the pillow cases - we are still using ours! Of course with a washing now and then!!